Thursday, September 3, 2009

Flat

That's how I felt after the GRE. Not disappointed, not thrilled, not relieved... just flat. Emotionless.

I had an appt. in Edina at 9:30 this morning so afterwards I went to Dunn Bros. and did some Social Psych reading while enjoying a chai tea latte (I don't like coffee). Afterwards I had lunch with a friend at the Cheesecake Factory and we had a great visit. I hadn't seen her in probably 2 years. We both got dessert to go and since we decided I should save mine to eat until after I finished the GRE. Which I did.

The test consists of a demographical info section, instructions on how to use a computer, 2 essays (45 min. and 30 min.), a quantitative section (45 min.), a verbal section (30 min.) and an experimental section (30 min.). Then you get to see your score and decide whether to send it to schools. I was content with my scores, not as high as the practice test I took Tuesday, but still decent. I'm not going to complain nor rejoice.

There's a 10 minute break between the writing and quantitative sections which you can choose to take or not. I chose not too. I was fine with that decision until the end of the test when I stood up and realized after hours of sitting, focusing intently on a screen that that was probably a mistake. I got into my car, rolled down the windows, and sat in silence eating my chocolate mousse cheesecake. It started to lift me up, but then I ate the whole thing and I definitely wasn't moving anywhere. I drove home in rush hour traffic and even though I was playing my music I was in no mood to sing along until about Monticello.

Quick interlude before finishing my story:
I hate running. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I was a gymnast. The longest I ever had to run was 61 feet and that included a skip-step and a hop on a springboard. In high school I could run an 8 minute mile which I consider to be a huge accomplishment. The last few weeks I have been craving to run. The weather has been beautiful. The gym has been full (all the freshman who think they're going to exercise every day and not gain college weight... then they learn what homework is). And I have been in need of some sort of exercise where I can just be alone and enjoy it. But running?

So back to today. I got home and all I wanted to do was go for a run. I finally stopped talking myself out of it and just went. I think I made it about 10 minutes before wanting to die but it felt good. After my roommate finished her supper we put on some music and had a baby dance party. It quickly turned from dance party to, "We just have to keep moving!!!" By the middle of Pink's "So What" we decided that the only way we could keep ourselves moving was to sprint up and down our hallway. Call us crazy if you want but it was still fun. We also learned that dance parties with only roommates are great because we can say, "We can dance stupid if we want to! We live here!"

I'm no longer feeling "flat." Thank you exercise and thank you to my friend Ben. Here's a video of him and Chris from Chris' birthday this summer. I watched it when I got home to lift my spirits and it never fails to make me laugh.


I almost forgot to mention... Ben's a music major... specializing in composition/theory, which for me makes him singing "Boom Boom" even better.

No comments: