Monday, June 30, 2008

Opportunities

I've been meaning to post for a while now but just haven't found the time to do it. I'm keeping this one short so that I can hopefully get a quick nap in before campers return to school.

I'm now in the beginning of camp week in Smithers, WV. I have no cell service anywhere here so this is also a "I promise I'm still alive" post as well.

Our camp set-up went smoothly last week and by Sunday we were eagerly anticipating the arrival of campers. As the crew manager, Sundays are the busiest and most hectic for me. After registration I go straight to my own little room where I lock myself away and spend a few hours assigning crews. Well a few issues, or "opportunities" as our director calls them, arose and it took from 3:20 until 6:23 for Melissa and I to assign the crews together. TWO of us. And we still ended up calling the guy who designed the database because tricking/forcing the computer into doing what we wanted was proving difficult. However, we got through crew assigning together and now everyone's at their worksites with their crews working. Well, hopefully they're working now since it was raining pretty good this morning and they couldn't do a whole lot.

And speaking of water....

I learned a very important lesson this week. Does anyone know what a waterbug is? I didn't either until I came to West Virginia. Well, let me rephrase that. Until I came to West Virginia, I didn't know what is was another name FOR. Any guesses? To keep you wondering just a bit longer in case you don't know I'm going to tell you a story... after hearing that we would be sharing the school with these critters we bought Raid and sprayed down our rooms, and then proceeded to lie duck tape upside down everywhere. Melissa outlined the entire perimeter of our bedroom/classroom with upside down duck tape. Yesterday morning I woke up and found one stuck to it about 2/3 feet from me. Since then I have killed more than 5 by shoe and 2 by creating my own duck tape square traps. So, the evil, violent person I am is now coming out every time I see a...cockroach.

The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alyssa
Glad to hear your still alive and doing well. Call me when you get on your way and have cell service. Love You mom