Thursday, May 29, 2008

Specifics...

Here is a little more specific outline of my summer...

We leave Estes Park, CO on June 8 and have to be in Oak Hill, WV by June 11. Camp week goes June 15-21 and then we have until June 25 to drive about an hour-ish over to Smithers, WV. Camp week there is June 29-July 5. We then take off for MINNESOTA! We have to be in Red Lake by July 9 and camp starts July 13.

One of my camp roommates here at training said she was a crew manager in Smithers, WV her first year on summer staff. She told me a lot of crazy things came up but that it's the camp she definitely has the most memories from. Hearing her talk about it got me incredibly excited to head out there! She said that it's almost like being in a completely different country but that it's amazing. I've also been told not to expect to be able to use my phone while in WV and other forms of communication are limited. Her mom wanted to mail her a prescription overnight and it took 3 days. As weird as it sounds I'm looking forward to this because I love experiencing different ways of life than the one I'm used to.

Today was CPR/First Aid training day. I went to breakfast and then 4 hours of crew manager training (yippee! not sarcastic excitement either...I love it!) until lunch. After lunch I was finished with all of my training for the day (we usually train until about 8 every night so it was a nice break) so I went on a hike with my new friend Megan! She's from PA, a psych major, and a crew manager...we have a lot in common and had great conversation the whole hike. Our lodge is about a mile away from Rocky Mountain National Park so we hiked a trail just inside the park which led up to Bible Point. It was absolutely beautiful! Plus way up at the top there's this mailbox that sits next to a cross, and it has notebooks/journals in it that people write in when they get up there. That was cool to look through.

My crew and I called our 5th member (the one who's not here yet) and that was pretty cool. He's the only guy so when he didn't answer we left a voicemail in which we introduced ourselves (2 of the girls already know him) and then ended with "yes, 4 girls!" He's supposed to arrive at training tomorrow so it'll be nice to get to meet our final crew member!

Oh, and I take back what I said about Laura being from IL, she's from CO.

No comments: