Sunday, September 19, 2010

Wait

Throughout downtown Madison you'll have a hard time finding a stoplight with a button to push when you want to cross. There are so many pedestrians all the time that a walk button to inform the light of a pedestrian would do no good. The light just assumes there's always a pedestrian. So imagine my surprise when I arrived at one of the most pedestrian populated intersections on campus to find a walk button. I was the first to arrive at the corner so I pushed it, just for fun. It spoke to me. "Wait." I figured I could do that since the signal still said, "Don't walk," and cars were flying by. 5 seconds later... "wait." Another 5 seconds go by and again, "Wait." It was a pleasant sounding male voice and since he took the liberty of being so kind I decided I would continue heeding his advice. I waited. Finally the signal changed to a white, "Walk," so I started crossing, but not before hearing the male voice again, "The University signal has changed. You may now cross the street at University. The University signal has changed. You may now cross the street at University." Wow. Hey thanks Mister Voice! I would like to proudly announce that I successfully crossed University Ave. at Park St. thanks to him.

Also, video of the post stars my neighbor growing up who happened to be my senior prom date... Mac.
Some of his friends in his Communications program made the video last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUh14_jLbQ


1 comment:

MaryAlice said...

Alyssa, that is hilarious. glad you made it across alive! hope your 159 pages of reading went well. love you :)